Instagram

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Project: Halloween Yarn Wreath


Cute yarn wreaths have been floating all over the blogosphere and Pinterest, so I finally decided it was time for me to make my own. I didn't take enough photos for a full step-by-step tutorial but I'll do my best to explain my process!

Supplies:
  • Foam tubing
  • Duct tape
  • Glue gun
  • Yarn (go cheap!)
  • Wide ribbon
  • Embellishments of your choosing (I used embroidery thread and a plastic spider)

I saved some money by purchasing foam tubing from Home Depot instead of using a pre-made wreath base from a craft store. For a dollar and change, you get 6 feet of tubing- cut it in half, use duct tape to attach the ends together, and you have enough for two wreaths just over 12" in outer diameter!



I took my black yarn and wrapped the loose end around the tube once, tied a knot, and used my hot glue gun to firmly keep it in place. Then, take that yarn and wrap, wrap wrap! I found the easiest way to do this was in increments, passing the whole ball of yarn through the hoop five or six times then tightening it up. This whole process did take me about an hour- perfect for multi-tasking while watching TV! When you are finished, tie another knot and glue gun the ends in place. I didn't worry about it looking a little messy because I knew I would cover it up with my ribbon later.


Now it's time to decorate! I took purple and green embroidery thread and wrapped it around to mimic an argyle look, once again using my glue gun to secure each end in place. I took the glittery orange ribbon, cut it to my desired length and placed it over the messy yarn ends. The ribbon was glued onto the wreath, then I also glued the ends together to make one big loop. I cut another piece of ribbon and tied a giant bow at the top of the wreath and glue gunned it in place.



My finishing touch was to dangle a fuzzy black and green plastic spider down the middle of my wreath! I tried gluing orange embroidery thread to the back of the spider, but he just wouldn't dangle properly. I realized my spider needed to be weighted down a bit, so I found some vase filler that I had (basically flat marbles) and glued three pieces into its hollow backside. It looked ugly so I just cut out a piece of orange foam I had lying around and glued that over the whole thing. Perfect!



I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt at a yarn wreath. I think I'll have to do this for every holiday!



No comments:

Post a Comment